mamamonday: stayin' (and lookin') alive(ish)

Monday, February 20, 2012

After Eli was born, I insisted on sticking to a morning routine of putting on a bit of makeup every day, even if we weren't leaving the house. It made me feel slightly more human on the zombiest of days. Taking five minutes to look less dead has been important for me over the past three months, and even now that he's a little bigger, I've stuck with this streamlined routine - especially lately when it seems like the four-month sleep regression has hit our wee boy early.

(Can it still be considered "regression" if it was never really there to begin with?)

Aaaaaaaaaanyway.

Here are the products I've been relying on lately:






1. Clinique Dramatically Different moisturizer - I've used this for years and love it. It absorbs nicely into skin and does a great job in the harsh winter air.

2. Clinique All About Eyes roller ball serum - genius product, especially for new parents. It helps to wake up puffy eyes, and the roller ball applicator feels soooo good on tired peepers.

3. Maybelline Age Rewind concealer in Neutralize - the yellow tones help to cancel out bluish dark circles and it stays put all day. It goes on with a soft spongy applicator too, so it's hard to use too much, unlike some gloopy wand concealers.

4.  Clinique Almost Powder Makeup in Neutral (04) - I loooove this too. It gives just enough coverage to even out my skin tone, but feels very light, like a pressed powder. It also zaps any shine and is super easy to apply. And it has SPF 15.

5. Maybelline Dream Mousse blush in Peach Satin - I have been having trouble finding a new one lately. If they've discontinued this blush I'm gonna throw down. I like the peachy shade, and the moussey texture blends in easily and looks pretty natural, no brushes required.

6. Clinique Colour Surge Eyeshadow in Like Mink - this came free in a gift with purchase but I'd buy the full-size product for sure. I hate garish eyeshadow but this is nice and natural and would probably work on just about any skin tone.

7. L'Oreal Voluminous False Fibre Lashes in Blackest Black - Mascara is a weird product. Everybody has their hands-down favourite, and pretty much everyone I know likes a different kind. I'd been using the Voluminous Million Lashes mascara and loved it and just picked up this False Fibre version over the weekend. So far so good! It works as well as pricier mascaras I've tried for about half the cost.

The only other product I use daily is some kind of lip balm - I give Eli lots of kisses all day long and I don't want his little baby head covered with creepy lipstick or sticky gloss. I like Blistex Silk 'n' Shine or Burt's Bees. That's my morning routine. Probably not enough to get you ready to attend the Oscars, but enough so the delivery man won't vomit upon seeing your face if you answer the door.


You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I love the Clinique moisturizer - it's the only think that seems to work for me in the dry prairie winters! I'm just now getting back into the routine of putting on make-up in the mornings - and Topher's almost 2, ha ha ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what's in Clinique moisturizer but it's magical. The gel lotion version is really nice in the summer too.

      Delete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree with the daily makeup routine, regardless if you're leaving the house. I've done the same thing since having my son, and it's a lifesaver some days. If I get busy and forget to put it on until lunchtime, I can definitely see the impact it has on my sanity and my mood. I may just be in yoga pants and a tank top, but having a little makeup on makes a huge difference when I see my reflection in the mirror!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how much of a mood-changer it can be to take that five minutes in the morning. And putting on "real" clothes, even if it is just yoga pants and a tank top - as long as it's not PJs all day!

      Delete
  3. I try to put a little concealer under my eyes, curl my lashes and put a little mascara on every day. I want to try that eye roller stuff, it sounds right up my alley plus I love Clinique. I have used the clarifying lotion for years and swear by the aglow blush.

    ReplyDelete