,

Half-Marathon Training - week two recap

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Two weeks of training down, 10 to go. Last week's training went pretty well. The bad news first: I skipped my cross-training workout. Just wrote that sucker off. Waaah. The weekend got away from me - I ended up taking the bebe to New Brunswick for a sleepover with his grandparents Saturday and Sunday, so with all the family time, driving, and whatnot, there wasn't a spare hour to cross-train. But I'm back on the wagon this week.

I have 10 more weeks on my training plan, which takes us to mid-April. The actual race is 100 days from today, May 18-20 weekend. So once I finish my 12-week training I'm planning to just repeat the last few weeks leading up to the half. I would like to run 13.1 miles at least twice before the actual event, just to prove I can do it without croaking. 

Last week's mileage was supposed to consist of two plain old three-mile runs, a three-mile pace run, and a five-mile run plus the cross-training that I skipped. Here's what I did:

Monday: rest

Tuesday: 3 mile run, 00:25. This was a personal best for me. My secret? I went to the gym suuuuper pissed off. Eli had been a tyrant all afternoon and evening and I was aggravated and ready to snap. Papa bear arrived home from work and took over with the little beast so I could tootboot 'er to the gym. I took out all my angst on the treadmill and felt 100 times better when I got home. Of course, I was all jacked up and couldn't get to sleep. But this run definitely helped me calm down from a very trying day.

Wednesday: 3 mile pace (00:27) & strength train. I set my pace at a 9-minute mile. I don't know why I think I can accomplish my first half-marathon at a 9:00 pace. I don't think I was really thinking, because while a few miles at 9:00 pace is doable for me, I don't know if I could maintain it for 13.1. Actually, I know I couldn't. Anyway, it was a fairly easy run and then some weight room action afterward.

Thursday: rest

Friday: 5 mile run, 00:44. I did 800m repeats and watched What Not To Wear. It went really quick and I felt great.

Saturday: rest

Sunday: 3 mile run, 00:28. I did hills and watched the Super Bowl pregame show. I don't want to talk about the Super Bowl any more.




You Might Also Like

0 comments