Monday, July 13, 2009

I spent the weekend in New Brunswick. It was a laid-back couple of days, including:

-first beach day of the year
-a TON of reading
-coffee with my parentals
-falling asleep in the yard
-running on the treadmill (watching Talladega Nights makes 45 minutes go by much faster)
-eating strawberries that were just picked, like, 10 minutes earlier
-hanging out with this hairy beast:



It's weird how every time I'm home for more than a day, my priorities and my personality swing completely the opposite of what they are in the city. New Brunswick Amy and Halifax Amy are so different.

New Brunswick Amy is happy to spend time at home with a book, sans electronic devices. She doesn't have to factor in traffic issues or parking time if she's going anywhere. She is never in a rush, wears shorts and tank-tops, and doesn't blow dry her hair. She carries cash. She has one coffee a day and drinks it sloooooowly in the morning and listens to country music in the car and waves at everybody whether she knows them or not, and they wave back.

Halifax Amy is attached to her BlackBerry and cannot ignore the red blips. She freaks out at traffic tie-ups and cries about the lack of parking downtown. She dresses up every day. She blow-dries her hair every morning. She is stressed out, frazzled and hateful. She never bothers with cash because every place accepts Visa and debit, no questions asked. She drinks tons of coffee and eats snacks all day and is cranky. She listens to gangster music that all sounds the same and swears and gestures at other drivers.

I think I need to find a way to incorporate more NB Amy into Halifax Amy. HaliAmy is kind of a bitch.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I am the exact same way when I go home to NB. My country persona and city persona are totally different in those ways .. if you figure out how to get the best of both worlds, let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same when I go back home (minus the whole driving thing... as we both know loser can't drive). I don't feel the need to leave the area, inside/outside, I can find something to occupy my time and am much more productive than here. I still would not move back though, I remember too well how it was when I actually lived there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that dual personality as well. Travel Sarah doesn't care about her e-mail. At home Sarah checks it about 30 times a day.

    LOOOooooOOOve the cuuuute picture!! :) He would definitely help keep me in Sarah sans technology state of mind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear, I count one night stays at my parent's house (a total of five minutes away from me) as a vacation. It's so relaxing to revert back to kid mode.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I can relate...there is City Billy and Lakehouse Billy...very much the same differences...hehehe

    ReplyDelete