Week 3

Thursday, January 23, 2014

I have been quietly chipping away at a marathon training plan. So...that's just like every year. I think this is the third time I've downloaded Hal Higdon's Novice 1 plan and started it off with the best of intentions, only to fizzle out somewhere around week 6.

Right now, I'm in week 3 and still pretty much on track, but my "long runs" have been six and seven miles long, which is ohhhh, ONE FOURTH of a marathon. So we'll see what happens. I'm not filling out any registration forms or paying race fees just yet.

I'm still hot and cold on the idea of running a marathon. Part of me just really wants that 26.2 bumper sticker. Part of me thinks that attempting to run for four-plus hours is disgusting and unnatural. I think everybody who runs for any amount of time toys with the idea of running a marathon. I read blogs of people who have done it and get inspired. I think about how shitty running 2+ hours is and get discouraged, and I'm about 75% sure I am not physically capable of running a marathon. Emotional roller coaster to the max.



This year, my strategy is to follow the plan, see how it goes, and not worry about busting my ass to save $10 with early bird registration. If it looks like it's going to be doable, I'll do it. If it looks like it's going to kill me, I'm not doing it. How's that for commitment?


You Might Also Like

0 comments