Friday 5: Five things I want to remember about 2013

Friday, January 03, 2014

2013 was a solid year, and I don't mean that in the fist-bump, do-me-a-solid sense, but in the literal sense. It was stable, substantial, and secure. No massive shakeups. No tragedies, thanking my lucky stars for that one. A good year. A Cabernet Sauvignon of a year, satisfying and hearty.

A lot of good things happened this year, so here are five things I'd like to remember in no particular order.

1. The Red Sox won the World Series - which means we got to see the World Series champions in the summer. Our trip to Boston on Labour Day weekend was a highlight of the year for a lot of reasons: Eli's first flight, my first run through Boston Common and the Public Garden, getting lost in the hood on our way back from the zoo (Blue Hill Avenue, anyone? NOT A GREAT NEIGHBOURHOOD), eating some fantastic pizza, seafood, and brunches. My favourite outing was going to Fenway, eating a pretzel, drinking a pricey beer and watching the bearded ones beat the White Sox.

 

2. In November, I booked an afternoon off work, got my hair cut, and then met up with Peter for a matinee movie date before it was time to pick up Eli from his sitter's. We saw 12 Years a Slave, but the movie wasn't important; I want to remember how much fun it is to take a little time off - even a couple of hours - to do something nice for yourself. We did this on a Friday afternoon and it was such a nice way to kick off the weekend.

3. Running the Mud Hero race in the summer was HARD. Hottest day of the summer, hands down, running an obstacle course up the side of a mountain. It doesn't sound like fun, but I had a blast running the race with my husband and celebrating with friends. But I don't want to forget just how hard it was running up a mountain on a 40-degree day caked with muck.


4. I want to remember Eli's Clark Kent Halloween costume and his amazement and excitement at being out, walking around the neighbourhood, at night with all the other kids out running around. He was less excited about trick-or-treating and candies but was stoked just to be out at a time he's normally getting ready for bed. And he was pretty adorable doing it.



5. 2013 was like the year of the pizza. We had some really outstanding homemade pizzas this year. Like this guy and this one. Hubba hubba.

I'm happy about my solid 2013 and looking forward to making more memories this year.
Happy weekend, friends! xo

You Might Also Like

2 comments