30 Going On 13

Friday, April 13, 2012

(via)
In less than three weeks, I'll turn 31 and officially be in my 30s. It sounds horrifying, but somehow I'm pretty OK with it. I've accepted the fact that I'm old and haggard and and try to embrace my elderly ways rather than fighting them.

I play the "blonde or gray?" game in the bathroom mirror before going to bed. (They're blonde. But I still yank them out).

I have trouble staying up past 10 p.m.

I get mad when the kid that delivers the flyers walks across the lawn.

I said something was bomb dot com the other day and Peter made fun of me for a full five minutes and accused me of sounding "like a mom trying to be cool."

YOU KNOW YOU'RE OLD WHEN.

In spite of being a senior citizen in a lot of ways, I do feel pretty young. I think it has less to do with eating my vegetables and taking my vitamins, and more to do with enjoying Justin Bieber music and TV shows about 15-year-olds. It's impossible to feel like you're 30-plus years old when you're bopping to "Boyfriend" in the car or eating a Happy Meal.

My secret formula for staying young at heart includes:

Kid food. I love a nice meal - sushi, steak, anything with "a la vodka" in the description. But sometimes, you just want a peanut butter and banana sandwich for lunch with a glass of chocolate milk. Or a Happy Meal (especially if the toy is cool). Macaroni and cheese is also a good choice. The great thing about eating kid food when you're 30 is that you how to pimp it out. So, you bake some macaroni and cheese, but you add a little truffle oil. Voila, gourmet. Or you make fries in the oven and eat them with Belgian-style mayonnaise. Ooh la la!

Teenybopper music. There is a loooot of this on my iPod, mostly because the kiddies tend to make upbeat jams that are great to work out to. No one's going to break a sweat listening to Radiohead or Coldplay or whatever old people while they pre-plan their funerals and drink prune juice.


Buying clothes at stores I'm getting embarrassed to enter. I'm looking at you, Garage. I actually go in there and pretend to be buying things for my "sister" or "niece" but it's alllll for me. Why not? They have tank tops and t-shirts that are great for layering, cute shorts, and other basics and they're all priced for a high school kid's budget. I could go to Banana Republic and pay $70 for a pair of shorts or go to Garage and get them for $30. It'll be our little secret. (PS - I recently got these, this, and this.)


Saturday nights at home baking cookies, doing my nails and reading magazines. Did this when I was 14, still doin' it today. In fact, doin' it tomorrow. Guess what: if you're doing it right, baking cookies does not result in a hangover, needing to find a cab home, bad choices or being tagged in embarrassing and unflattering Facebook photos.

What makes you feel young? And who wants to come to my birthday party? We're going to play Dream Phone and maybe do makeovers.


You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. ah, this makes me smile. I am 37 now (vomit!)and thanks to my 7 and 5 year old daughters into the soundtrack of High School Musical, I am not ashamed to admit that I have HSM tunes on my Ipod that I regularly bop along too. The fact that I am 37 incidentally freaks me out big time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the High School Musical movie and quite liked it :)

      Delete
  2. Great post! I love your way of writing and your honesty, I also love that we live in the same Province! :) YAY! Finally another NS Blogger! It took me a couple of weeks to find the Nova Scotia Bloggers group on 20SB, but it was worth the wait!
    I live in Cape Breton - Been blogging for only 7 months and loving it. www.rachelemmilee.blogspot.com is where you'll learn a bit about me. :)

    Your new follower,
    Rachel Emmilee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check it out for sure! Always nice to find other blogs from this neck of the woods!

      Delete
  3. The only time I go into Garage is with my teenage nieces! Not that I don't think the clothes are cute, but the music is too loud!!! That's a sure sign that I'm in my 30's....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the music being too loud in there! I've noticed the same thing!

      Delete
  4. I very much identify with this post, Amy! We are the same age. My go to kid food is Zoodles with a buttered piece of bread. Mmm.. And KD, and the classic grilled cheese.

    The music: I like the Beebs. 'Boyfriend' is my cool-down song at Zumba.. I didn't even know it was him. haha

    Cute Garage purchases!!

    And holy balls, Dream Phone. hahahahhaah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoodles with a buttered piece of bread sounds pretty good! Another one I used to eat is a banana cut up in a dish with milk poured on top :)

      Delete
  5. I have no idea what Garage is but it looks a lot like Forever 21 and I'm 33 and still go in that store, what can I say except I can be a little cheap sometimes.

    I think my 30's are by far the best years I have had so far and I welcome them. I can only imagine my 40's will be better...more money, more vacation time...how can that be bad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have really enjoyed 30. Everyone was like, "ohhhh, 30 isn't so bad!" and I didn't believe them, but they were right! Good point about the money and vacation time too!

      Delete
  6. I know what you mean about the music. I was driving home the other night and thought I heard a new Justin Timberlake song...yeah it was Bieber. Its really catchy!! I also love selena gomez, taylor swift...i even have a few demi lovato songs. LOL. oh dear.

    P.s. checked out those links from garage, nice choices!!! I haven't shopped in there in a long time I have to admit, mostly due to the fact that I feel like their sizes are getting smaller by the day and I just feel fat in there.LOL but your right about them having great tanks for layering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was Justin Timberlake too! Little Biebs is growing up!

      Delete
  7. Oh Amy...31 isn't that bad my dear. I made it through (I worked my whole b-day weekend *sad face*) and am now half way to 32...can I get a holy christ!

    But hey...at least you'll get fun mail:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing 31 won't be so bad! I'm definitely not dreading it like last year's birthday!

      Delete
  8. I feel the same way about Garage and I'm 24! I feel like sometimes it has an older vibe, and then it'll have been a few months, I go instead and suddenly feel like I'm 45.

    Maybe it's all the candy at the cash?

    I LOVE that striped hoodie. I've had a hoodie from Garage for years and it's still one of my favourites. I'm glad you decided to forgo your stripe ban because that's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I'm in that store I stand at the cash and debate getting Fun Dip. That's the only place I ever see the awesomeness that is Fun Dip anymore. And Sweet Tarts!

      Delete
  9. Your blog just made me laugh so much! I am in exactly the same position as you and have not been dealing with it as well. I think I need to change my outlook...who cares if I am in bed at 10:00 every night? haha Your Saturday night sounds exactly like mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to spend a Saturday night! Peter wanted to watch The Walking Dead but I was like, whoaaaa cowboy, it's 9:30...that would require being awake until 10:15. haha!

      Delete