What's for dinner?

Thursday, August 09, 2012


This week's Writer's Workshop prompt is to describe a meal your mom cooked that you dreaded while you were growing up. I'm going to go ahead and describe the meals I DIDN'T dread, because that will take a lot less time.

To say I was a picky eater is like saying Canada is getting a wee bit dicked around at the Olympics, i.e. the understatement of the century. I would go for months - MONTHS! - eating only one or two meals with basically zero nutritional value. Examples:

- I brought cheese sandwiches to school for lunch four days a week from grades one through six. White bread, orange Cracker Barrel cheddar.
- On the fifth day of the week, I bought pizza in the cafeteria. Those little round pizzas with three pepperonis.
- From about age three to five, all I'd eat for dinner was Kraft Dinner.
- I also went through phases where I'd eat only one type of food every day for lunch for the entire summer. The summer after grade one, all I ate for lunch, every day, for two and a half months, was a poached egg. The following summer I had a bowl of white rice with butter, EVERY DAY, while watching The Price is Right. But my obsession with the best game show of all time is another post for another day.

Rounding out my palate: Froot Loops, bananas, chocolate chip cookies, cheesies, corn, grape juice, and onion rings. But not the actual onion part - just the batter. I'd pull the onion out and eat the outside.

There's really nothing more to say about this except the fact that I didn't die of rickets or scurvy is a small miracle.

I still get in a rut of eating the same foods over and over. A few weeks ago, it was fresh Thai spring rolls. I was making them for lunch every day. I made a caprese salad for dinner the other night and now all I want is mozza, tomatoes, and basil for the rest of my life. But after a couple of meals I move on to something new. I don't think white rice for 72 days straight is a good idea for anyone.

When I see toddlers happily eating sushi or steak or omelettes, I am amazed and bewildered.

Thank you Mama Kat for the prompt!

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. If you didn't die of rickets or scurvy, there's hope for Topher to survive, because he's become EXTREMELY picky. Dinnertime is horrible because he doesn't want to eat anything except strawberries and ice cream. When I was a kid I was so picky that I made my mom peel the skin off my hot dogs :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to eat strawberry shortcake WITHOUT the strawberries! Just the biscuit and whipped cream! There is definitely hope for Topher :)

      Delete
  2. oh this is good to read, my daughter is a little like you were. One week all she ate was beans. Now all she will have in her lunchbox is Marmite (a UK thing) sandwiches. She loves Kraft dinner and chicken nuggets. I struggle to get her to eat any real meat. Sausages - only the Johnsonville Breakfast kind are ok and chicken nuggets but thats it. To round out her palate its choc chip cookies, froot loops, bananas, jello, smiley potato faces oh and chocolate. I thank God she actually likes water, milk and goldfish.
    I am pleased to read this post as you are so fit and healthy and I hope that she will go the same way as she gets older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend in the UK sent me a jar of marmite once and it was horrible! If your daughter can eat it she can eat anything! She sounds a lot like me when I was little, minus the marmite haha

      Delete
    2. I am pleased she likes marmite as its healthy - it needs to be very thinly spread though and on hot buttery toast its divine. Marmite has a reputation of it being equally loved and hated

      Delete
    3. Ahh, see I think I just had a spoonful of straight marmite and wrote it off as gross. I was probably doing it wrong!

      Delete
  3. We must be the same person, nutritionally challenged childhood wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything I ate was white, orange, or yellow and pretty much zero nutritional value. I'm amazed we lived to adulthood!

      Delete
  4. We had those cheese sandwiches too! My mom would put butter on them, probably to make the cheese stay. I don't remember hating them, but what a weird sandwich to make a kid!

    ReplyDelete