One Year

Thursday, October 14, 2010




A year ago, I was in the midst of the biggest meltdown of my life to date. I was getting married in three days. I was having recurring nightmares about scenarios such as the-ceremony-starts-in-15-minutes-and-I'm-wearing-Umbro-shorts-and-haven't-showered. And then, three days later, after what was undoubtedly the fastest day of my life (did someone set all the clocks ahead on October 17 to eff with my poor head?) I was married.

This Sunday, Peter and I will celebrate one year as husband and wife and I can hardly believe it's been a year. Peeps, the time has absolutely flown. It's been a wonderful year. We spent our honeymoon in Paris but to be honest, the whole year has felt kind of like an extended honeymoon. There has been so much exciting and fun stuff happening.

We spent our first Christmas together - the first time I've ever not been at my parents' home on Christmas Eve. We bought a house. We went to the Dominican and to Boston and tomorrow morning, we're going on a surprise anniversary trip for four days. I don't know where we're going, I've just been told what to pack and to bring American money, so I assume we'll be somewhere in the US - and the weather's going to be warm. (Which is extra awesome since this morning I had to scrape frost off my car windows. Does not want.)

Since we've been married, not a lot feels different. Things are just a little more...snuggly. Secure. I have an extra ring on my finger. I still slip up and say "my boyfriend." I still get caught off guard when Peter calls me his wife.

Over the past year we've learned some new things. We've learned how to give each other space. That we aren't there to entertain each other 24/7. That it's OK for Peter to retreat to the basement man-cave to play video games for a couple hours, and that sometimes I want to go shopping or run errands by myself and it doesn't mean I'm upset. We've learned how to appreciate a quiet evening at home as much as a boisterous night out. We've learned when to budget and when to splurge. We've learned that arguing sometimes isn't only normal, but sometimes it's a good thing.

We've only been together about three and a half years so I'm still learning stuff about Peter all the time. For example, he barely ever gets sick, so I'm still figuring out what he's like when he's not feeling well (sooky), at what point he'll actually take Advil (near death) or stay home from work (only when projectile vomiting). I'm just beginning to realize how handy he is, good at fixing stuff and putting things together. How easily he makes people feel comfortable when he meets someone new. How much he loves surprises, even tiny ones like bringing him a can of root beer, the only kind of pop he'll drink.

There are so many little things I love about my husband. He kills spiders for me, makes me eggs for breakfast on days he doesn't need to leave for work until later, and spent a couple evenings this week puppy-proofing the garage so that when we get a little four-legger (soon!! eeee!!) it won't be chewing on jugs of lawnmower gasoline or garden tools. I really feel like I lucked out and somehow I've landed "one of the good ones". I love him more and more every day and the past year with my best friend has been my favourite year ever. I can't believe it's already been a year and I hope we have a gazillion years more.

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Seriously, aren't wedding days the fastest day ever. I couldn't believe it either!! Congrats on the 1 year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your anniversary. It's amazing how much you learn in one year of marriage... We got a puppy around our first anniversary too... Cheesy as it sounds, all the potty accidents and early morning park trips have definitely brought us closer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww... so sweet Amy! I love this! Congrats to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!! Glad to know I'm not the only one with pre-wedding nightmares. :) Yay for October Weddings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post just made me cry. It's so wonderful to see people so in love. You're BOTH lucky to have each other =) Enjoy your trip!! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy anniversary!!

    And congratulations on deciding to get a dog! I'm so excited for you on both counts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's experienced the OMG the wedding is RIGHT NOW and my dress is made of garbage bags and pink ribbon, or I don't have a hairbrush and have bed hair, or the ceremony's somehow in a university in the middle of a lecture, or my beloved is wearing a godawful satin white striped suit... (all of these in the past two weeks!) That's a really lovely photo of you guys, and big congrats on your first anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete