Getting baked

Thursday, December 03, 2009

My Christmas baking day is coming up!! It's definitely among my top 10 favourite days of the year. I put the TV on something delightfully cheesy and Christmasy--usually the Christmas Daddies Telethon, because what's more festive than making fun of untalented children trying to help those less fortunate than themselves?

As I laugh at the horrible renditions of Santa Claus is Coming to Town and further guarantee my VIP pass to hell one day, I bake up a storm. I eat a LOT of raw dough. I freeze some things, give some as gifts, and will probably share some with my coworkers. I give a lot of baking to family and friends. And I eat a lot of it myself. I just love Christmas baking...it wouldn't be Christmas without it.

I'm putting together my list for this year's baking frenzy. Right now here's what I'm thinking:

-sugar cookies--various shapes
-peanut butter balls
-candy cane cupcakes
-cherry-almond biscotti
-shortbreads--I might cheat and get this. It's a frozen tub of the best shortbread dough ever made. Just scoop and bake. Ha!
-oreo truffles--made these last year--SO easy.
-peppermint bark. Completely idiotproof!

I might need to spread it out over an entire weekend.

Any other suggestions for good Christmasy treats?

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Completely inspired to do the same now. Might actually use some of these recipes, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sarah....I haven't done the biscotti or cupcakes before and I haven't used Martha's sugar cookie recipe either, but it's MARTHA so it must be good :) The bark, Oreo truffles and peanut butter balls I've done before. I can't wait to bake!

    @Paige....I'll try but my baking usually looks like crap :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you like white chocolate, try the Oreo truffles using white instead of regular.

    If you don't like white chocolate, forget I said anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything sounds so delish. I'm relatively new to baking, and the only think I know how to make are muffins. I'm kinda getting sick of them actually...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Joe I do like white chocolate!! Thanks for the suggestion :)

    @spiffy If you're new to baking I recommend the PB balls or truffles. They are both really easy! The sugar cookies are a bit more of a project but the finished product is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I'm here from a Blogher link. Let me say, peanut butter balls are *fabulous*, but i think you made an egregious mistake leaving out the Swedish Teacakes (or snowflake cookies as they're sometimes called). I eat these things like crazy at Christmastime!

    As an aside, my word verification is "dedrat" not too appetizing!

    ReplyDelete