10 FoodsFriday, June 01, 2012
The other day someone asked me one of those horrifying questions that brings to mind an awful scenario you have never considered before and don't even want to imagine. You know how it is, when you're happily going about your daily routine and someone goes, "Can you imagine if ________ happened?" and you're all, sheeeeeeeeeeit! And it's all you can think about for the rest of the day until you work out a solution in your mind in the event that, God forbid, it ever happens? Like what if you were stranded on a desert island, or there was a zombie apocalypse, or animals were suddenly able to walk upright and wield weapons? Or, in this particular case, what if you could only eat 10 foods for the rest of your life?
I know. Deep breaths, in and out, stay with me.
After I stopped hyperventilating and calmed down and thought about it rationally I came up with a list of the 10 foods I'd choose. Keep in mind you can't pick "pizza" or "turkey dinner" or "eggs Benedict" - it's 10 individual foods.
1. Avocados - I absolutely love avocados. I put them on everything - salads, sandwiches, in pasta, on toast. One of my favourite lunches is homemade tortillas with mashed avocado, lime juice and sea salt. Today I had an egg on toast with avocado. It just makes everything better.
2. Eggs - I could eat eggs every day. They are a perfect food. My favourite is poached eggs, but I like them scrambled, fried, hard boiled, you name it.
3. Brie Cheese - it's so hard to choose just one cheese. For me it's like having to choose a favourite amongst your children, which I hear is, in fact, quite challenging. (I can't imagine why. You people out there who have more than one kid - you have a favourite kid, don't you? Admit it). Anyway, I have never met a Brie I didn't like.
4. Strawberries - as long as they're fresh strawberries, I'm happy. I can eat them by the bowlful. I love them in crisp, pies, and the best dessert ever, strawberry shortcake. My little heart is pitter-pattering just thinking about it. I also love slicing them up and eating them on toasted English muffins with peanut butter. And strawberry season is just about here!
5. Dark Chocolate - just a small piece feels like a real treat. I love, love, love a bar of good quality dark chocolate. Bonus points if it has sea salt in it.
6. Sweet Potatoes - the best kind of taters, hands down. Baked, fried, mashed, gimme.
7. Greek Yogurt - I used to eat some kind of 35-calorie, fat-free, chemical-shit-storm yogurt. Greek yogurt is so much better. It's awesome on its own or with stuff added - chocolate chips or fruit or granola. You can also add a spoonful to your oatmeal to make it creamy, or make nice thick smoothies with it.
8. Bananas - I have a banana every day. I like them in cereal, oatmeal and yogurt. I like them in peanut butter sandwiches. I like them on their own. I like slicing them up and dipping them in yogurt and freezing them. Would be good dipped in dark chocolate and frozen, too.
9. Peanut Butter - don't even try to tell me you haven't eaten peanut butter from the jar with a spoon. YOU LIE.
10. Wine - "but wine isn't technically a food!" you say. Why, thank you for bringing that to my attention, Captain Obvious! This is an imaginary scenario and if I want to forfeit nutrition for getting a buzz on, it's happening. I would have chosen coffee, but if I'm not allowed to have cream and sugar fuggedaboutit.
10 foods - go!