Rules are made to be broken.

Thursday, June 09, 2011

Today's post is inspired by Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop:

In honor of the “white” after Memorial Day rule, name a fashion rule that you either break or enforce.


Over the past year or two, there's one fashion rule I have started breaking on the regular. Lately, a few times a week, in fact.


image via


I KNOW they're not pants. I know they're totally inappropriate. I know it takes the same amount of time to pull on a pair of leggings as it does to put on real pants, I get it, I know it's wrong. And I don't want to be right.

I held off forEVER on buying leggings. I thought they were vulgar and nasty and cheap and trashtastic. I promised myself I would never resort to substituting leggings for pants.

Then I kept seeing them everywhere, with cute tunics and long, soft sweaters and knee-high flat boots and they just looked so comfy and cute.

"One pair," I told myself.

I ended up buying two pairs because they were on sale, two for $20. Sensible black and gray. And a nice long tunic top to wear with them that covered the bum.

The first time I wore my leggings outside of the house was to a wine festival and I refused to take my long coat off at the event because I felt overexposed in my non-pants. I could just picture some snot coming up to me and sneering "excuuuuuse me, I think you've forgotten something". But oh, I was comfortable.

Fast-forward a year and a half and I have four pairs of leggings. They make a regular rotation in my wardrobe. I wear them at home with t-shirts and tanks, and out with long button-downs, long cardigans and the like. My rule of thumb is 1) if you can't see your ass hanging out and 2) if you can't see through them - THEY COUNT AS PANTS. You will never see me prancing around in white leggings. I don't wear them to work. I do wear them to get-togethers, to run errands, to the movies, or to hang out at home. They're comfortable, they don't take up a lot of room in the closet, they're cheap and they're versatile. "Leggings are not pants", in my opinion, is one rule that is made to be broken.

You Might Also Like

0 comments