Answers, part 2.

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

A couple weeks ago, I invited readers to ask me questions, and you guys delivered! I got great questions and  I've decided to break some of these out into separate posts, otherwise you'd be reading the world's longest essay right now.

Heather Laura asked: What's your makeup/hair routine?



Summed up in one word, my daily routine is simple! I get up a little after 6 with just about an hour to get everyone ready, fed, and out the door, so I don't have very much time to spend on makeup and hair.

Plus, I don't know what I'm doing. I can't do cat eyes or contouring; I can barely make a sock bun. There's nothing worse than countless YouTube tutorials of smug CHILDREN wielding a straightener to make perfectly cascading curls or creating the perfect smoky eye.

I just got a haircut, so it's about shoulder-length, and my stylist cut in some long layers and thinned it out a bit to make my hair as low maintenance as possible, which is perfect for me since have neither the time nor the know-how to do anything with my hair. I either leave it down, throw it in a bun,  or pin back a piece from the front with a bobby pin - that's about all I know how to do with my hair. I blow dry it, but that's it in terms of tools - I don't curl it or straighten it or use any products. I try not to wash it every single day so it doesn't get too dry. I got some bumble & bumble Creme de Coco shampoo and conditioner as a gift so I've been using that, but otherwise I tend to buy whatever's on sale, usually Pantene or Dove.

As for my makeup routine, it's super basic. I use just a few products every day to save time. I choose things that don't really require much dexterity but still make me look somewhat rested and pulled together. I also find that the less makeup I wear, the younger I look - a bad thing when you're 16, a good thing for me! Here's what I put on my face every day:

Clinique All About Eyes (the metal roller ball feels awesome)
Clinique BB cream all over my face - I like that it moisturizes and provides decent coverage, plus SPF, all in one product
Cover Girl Cheekers blush, the same one I've used since high school
Sonia Kashuk brow pencil, an extra step I never used to bother with since my brows are already pretty dark, but it's something that I've found makes me look just a little more polished for just a couple seconds' worth of effort.
L'Oreal Voluminous mascara (sometimes I'll splurge and get Benefit They're Real)

 That's it! After breakfast and tooth brushing and whatnot I'll use a little Benefit BeneBalm or Burt's Bees tinted balm throughout the day - one is a nice sheer red and the other a rosy pink and both give me a little colour and lots of moisture, which is nice for our chilly months.


You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I think one of my biggest lessons as I age (gah) is that less is definitely more with makeup. I know how to do a smoky eye, and all that jazz and own a whole lot of makeup, but the more simple and natural makeup looks definitely look cleaner and less old.

    I also am a huge fan of the eyebrow fill-in - I used to choose mascara as my must-have, but now if I had to choose it's my eyebrow filler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes a big difference for sure! I never bothered with it until this year.

      Delete
  2. Love this post! Thanks! My must-have is definitely blush. I'm ghostly and blah without it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need blush too! I used to be a big bronzer gal but especially in winter, blush is a lot more flattering.

      Delete
  3. I had legit FOMO over makeup up until a couple of months ago. I suddenly felt like what I had wasn't enough and that if I spent a zillion dollars I'd look younger, brighter and tighter. Thankfully, after that horrid makeover at Sephora I am sold on less is more, and my makeup regime is back to being basic - and beautiful! Thanks for sharing your go-to products, and for the record I'd be lost without my Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream. It's been a staple for as long as I can remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of feel the same! I like being able to have only a few things in my makeup bag, and you can't beat being able to get ready in under five minutes! I haven't tried that night cream. Clinique Dramatically Different is my go-to moisturizer before bed!

      Delete