Stripes: the sequel

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Last year, I wrote about how my closet is full of too many stripes. I counted up my striped pieces and I resolved to not buy anything else with stripes. Guess how that turned out?


Just got this dress. And have bought at least 10 striped things since I wrote that post. 
The obvious takeaway here is that I like stripes. Every time I go shopping, I gravitate towards racks of striped things.

So why should I stop buying stripes? If I'm a stripey girl by nature, why would I want to force myself to be a solid or floral or plaid person? Shouldn't I just go with what I know I like and feel comfortable in, instead of putting on some stupid paisley and feeling miserable?

It's a simple thing, but I think it applies in other areas of our life. I have friends who are die hard runners, but keep trying to make fetch happen with spin class or yoga, and they just don't love it. "But I want to stick it out," they say - WHY?

Why stick it out if you know you don't like it?

If you give something an honest effort, and it's not your bag, that's OK. Not everything has to be the best.thing.ever. for every person. You tried. You don't have to love every single thing. It's not admitting defeat to say you don't like something.

Figure out what it is you love, what works for you, and stick with it. For me, that's stripes, skinny jeans, flats, running, minimal makeup, being an early bird, funny movies, and beach vacations. It isn't bright crazy patterns, eyeliner, staying up late, watching documentaries, golf, or zumba. That's not to say I will never enjoy those things, but for now, my closet will be stocked up with clothes I know I like, I will be going to bed at 10pm and I won't be spending money on red lipstick.

When I buy my zillionth striped shirt, I'm doing it because it makes me happy, not because I have a problem. And I'll probably wear it all the time. As long as you're open to at least trying different options, there's nothing wrong with sticking with what you know you love.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. awesome. i am the same (but with dark colours mostly). i've branched out, but like you, i gravitate towards habit and things i love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! I am the same, I love living in my world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier to embrace and just go with it!

      Delete