#nationalrunningday

Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Today is National Running Day. I drove to the gym near my office and slogged out 5K on the treadmill in 27 minutes while watching baseball highlights and clips of Rob Ford looking like a fool on the noon news.

It wasn't a particularly far, fast, scenic, or otherwise noteworthy run. It wasn't even all that enjoyable. I mean, it's a treadmill in a gym in an industrial park. It's not like I was running along a Caribbean beach or through the streets of Rome or the Runyon Canyon. I definitely didn't break any records for distance or speed. And I didn't look amazing doing it, unless yellow t-shirts and pink sneakers are your thing.

But the thing about running is that even that most unremarkable, unimpressive of runs? It made my day. I'm back at my desk now feeling clearheaded, refreshed, ready for the afternoon. I feel accomplished - something checked off my to-do list. I added it to my Daily Mile page. Three more miles for the week.

As simple as it seems to put on a pair of sneakers and run - just run - it's something to be thankful for, each and every time, even a clammy 5k on the treadmill at lunch. So many people want to run, but can't. So many people can but don't want to. Being able to run is a wonderful thing.

I'm not exaggerating when I say running has changed my life. It helped me lose 40 pounds. Even though it's the most solitary of sports, it's helped me feel like I'm part of a team, a community. It's my alone time, my time to think, plan, let my mind wander, zone out. It doesn't require any special skill, complicated equipment or expensive memberships - no matter where I am, I can run.




You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. 40lbs is a huge accomplishment! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's actually been pretty easy to keep off - I think running has helped me settle at my "happy weight" and stay there for the past five years (with the exception of having a baby obviously) Then again, I'm not eating fast food 2x/day and drinking 1,000 extra calories of booze most nights soooo that helps :)

      Delete
  2. I tried running a few times and had horrible shin splints (is that the right term?)...I'm assuming I am running wrong but who knows. I just couldn't ever do it. I wish I was a runner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be your shoes...I have never had shin splints but wearing the wrong shoes or having them laced too loose can cause them, or so I've heard!

      Delete
  3. Aw, I love this. I just took up running again for the first time since high school. I am SO loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome especially at this time of year. Not too hot, not too cold!

      Delete
  4. I really want to like running, but I am SLOW. I'd love to try something like Couch to 5k. I've been supremely lazy as of late so gotta get going again with workouts in general.

    Again, just have to get started!

    Good on ya for your running journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of a lot of people having success with Couch to 5K! It seems to start at a pretty doable pace so you're less likely to get burned out early on.

      Delete
  5. What would you say if I told you this post brought a tear to my eye? I work in a long term care facility where running is on the impossible list and my own sister would have killed to be able to run. But yet, I "hee and haw" about it all the time...
    Thanks. THIS was the push I needed.
    Consider me a runner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Good luck with it! Let me know if you need any tips or just encouragement - I am not a pro by any means but happy to help or at least share some good resources that have helped me!

      Delete
  6. I am with you on this, I LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete