Half-marathon training - week 9 and the magical socks

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

On the weekend, I did something crazy. I paid $15 for a pair of socks. To me, the queen of cheap, that's batshit certifiable. Most of my socks cost $15...for six pairs.

Fifteen bones can buy a lot of things more fun than one pair of low-cut socks:

  • a bottle of wine
  • a movie ticket (barely)
  • 4/5 of a pair of coloured Joe Fresh jeans
  • one and a half Essie nail polishes
  • 15 Cadbury Creme Eggs
I just got fed up with my feets looking like they had water balloons attached all over them. Blister City, my friends: it's not a place you want to visit and definitely not a place you want to live. So I went into Running Room on the weekend to part with some of my hard earned government handout cash and buy a pair of "real" running socks for my long runs.

SHEEEEEEEEEIT!!
On Sunday, I ran 12 miles in these new beauties, and while it was no picnic in the park, it felt considerably more pleasant and less painful than running 11 miles the week before. I attribute that in large part to my feet not being on fire and swelling to double their normal size inside my ghetto Wal-Mart discount "sport socks".  Best $15 I've spent lately. I will never do another long run in socks that came from a bulk package again.

It got me thinking about the economics of running. Everyone's always all, "running is so great, you can do it anywhere and it's free!" which is so not the case. It can be pretty pricey, between shoes, clothes, gear, race fees, etc. But that's another post for another day.

As I posted earlier, last week was not my favourite week for training. Midweek, I was toast. I didn't want to run at all - anything seemed more appealing than going for a run and I started having those thoughts of "if I can't get my act together to do five miles how in the hell am I going to do 13?"

Luckily, I was able to rally by Friday and finished the week on a good note.

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 3 miles, 26:00 (8:21 pace) - the weather was warm, sun shining, birds chirping, perfect running weather. Then I did upper body weights & core.
Wednesday: Rest. Just not feeling it.
Thursday: Rest. Went to the Hunger Games instead. I am one thousand percent happy with this decision.
Friday: 5 miles, 42:00 (8:24 pace) - one of my favourite runs this year. Again, the weather was great and I was feeling good!
Saturday: 3 miles, 26:44 (8:47 pace) - treadmill run with hills, plus 30 minutes on the elliptical. National Lampoon's Vegas Vacation was on TV at the gym and an hour flew by. I love the National Lampoon vacation movies. Luckily, the gym was almost empty so my LOLz didn't disturb anybody else's workouts.
Sunday: 12 miles, 1:44:46 (8:43 pace) - longest run yet!


You Might Also Like

0 comments