,

I could have adopted a real giraffe instead

Tuesday, July 12, 2011



So I dropped 20 bucks on that thing last night. Apparently, this is not JUST a giraffe. From what I've been told this small rubber animal is the key to sanity and happiness for the first few months of a baby's life. For some reason, all babies go apeshit for this toy and it entertains them, soothes them, keeps them calm, and one of my friends described it as being "like crack to babies." I expect it to shoot glitter magic fairy dust out its ass when you squeeze it and to emit some kind of happy-baby-tranquilizer gas as it's slobbered on.

When I first started noticing Sophie the Giraffe clutched in infants' paws in strollers everywhere, all I thought was, "didn't I see a kid with that thing the other day?" Then I heard from one of my mommy acquaintances that Sophie is the bomb for babies. All natural rubber, soft body, perfect for teething, yada yada. Also, it's been around for 50 years this year so it must have some pretty solid star qualities.

So when we found out we had a bun in the oven, I grabbed a Sophie when I was browsing in Toys R Us one day, in an effort to be a good mom and choose only the best for my baby. I turned the package over...

TWENTY SIX DOLLARS?!?!

FOR A RUBBER TOY???

I threw it back in the bin and immediately began composing a mental list of things I could buy for $26.

1. A manicure on one hand.
2. A bottle of good wine.
3. Two bottles of meh wine.
4. A movie date for two on cheap night (let's be honest, the only night of the week I offer to pay for a movie date.)
5. Paying off my library fines.
6. Season four of Friday Night Lights on DVD.
7. A week's worth of lattes.

Our dog has a whole bunch of rubber toys that squeak too and not one of them was over $10. And he teethed successfully and is mostly well-adjusted and normal. I figured throwing a Kong into the baby's crib for them to chew on would not be the worst idea ever.

Then, last night, we were at Chapters and lo and behold, the Sophie gift sets had a bright orange "50% Off" sticker on them. Not being one to resist the lure of the sale sticker, I investigated further. The thing was $40 (FORTY!!!!!!!!!!) but it includes a Sophie towel and fancy gift box as well as the fabled giraffe itself. So for the low, low price of 20 bones, our baby will not only have the crack-giraffe but also a box to put it in and a towel to poop on. #winning

We got it home, opened the box and Peter and I took turns chewing on the giraffe's ears and legs to see what all the fuss was about. We didn't get high but she is pretty cute, and we figured anything that will maintain some semblance of peace and quiet in our home in a few months is well worth the cost of a bucket of KFC.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I am totally intrigued by this. I haven't seen this at all here, but it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just babies, I'm going apeshit over this little cutie as well. Can I have one even I don't have a baby? 'Cause it's going to be very inconvenient if I have to get knocked up for this giraffe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenilee - apparently you 'have' to have one :)

    Carolynn - it is pretty cute and soft to chew on - obviously we both tested it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen any of these! I must live in a hole if I'm missing out on rubber giraffes squirting glitter out of it's butt. And now I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a 16 month old and when he started teething I thought the same thing. But, I bought it and i kid you not even now when he's not really tething anymore he LOVES sophie! I've bought 3 sophies and she is SO worth it. The first decided to jump ship at my husbands afghanistan homecoming, the seconds jumped ship somewhere on our cross country drive and I am desperatley holding on to number 3. haha.

    ReplyDelete