Five ThingsThursday, December 01, 2011
Today's Writer's Workshop prompt at Mama Kat's blog is Five Things. List 5 things we don’t know about you, 5 things you’re
knowledgeable about, 5 things you know nothing about, and 5 things you
Five things you may not know about me:
1. I used to dye my hair blonde but stopped because it was so damaging and drying. Now I refuse to dye it until I have to - i.e. when it turns white.
2. I entered a national writing contest in grade two. I pretty much plagiarized an Amelia Bedelia book and changed the main character's name to Jenny Quimby. Needless to say, I didn't win.
3. My first detention was for eating in the hall in grade five. I remember sitting in the cafeteria surrounded by riff-raff kids from grades seven and eight who were probably in there for things like smoking hash or beating up old ladies and feeling equal parts terrified and badass.
4. My great-grandfather was an Orangeman. I don't know much about the group but supposedly he had a tattoo on his chest that turned white when he died.
5. I haven't eaten a hot dog since I was five. I ate a hot dog at a barbecue and barfed it up later in the bathtub, then screamed because I thought I had thrown up my tongue. And that was the end of my love for processed meats.
Five things I'm knowledgeable about:
1. Song lyrics - especially songs from the 90s. Growing up in a house with no cable meant that when I went storming off to my bedroom to sulk and have emo fits, I'd end up listening to the radio for hours on end and as a result, I know a lot of lyrics.
2. Saving money. I subscribe to email coupon offers at my favourite stores, downloaded the Michael's app for daily coupons and deals, and pretty much never buy anything that's not on sale.
3. Grammar and spelling. I studied journalism so my CP Stylebook was my best friend for a few years. I have always been a stickler for spelling and punctuation.
4. Calorie counts. A few years ago I used the calorie and fitness tracker on Sparkpeople to lose about 25 pounds. Years later, the calorie value of lots of foods is still ingrained in my brain. I could probably guesstimate how much I eat every day correctly within 100 calories without using the site.
5. Baking salted chocolate chip cookies. Of all the things I bake that's the recipe I seem to have the best luck with!
Five things I know nothing about:
1. Making curry from scratch. Thank God for President's Choice bottled curry sauce so I can get my spicy fix with no effort :)
2. Knitting. Just can't do it. I've tried and I suck at it.
3. Arranging flowers in a vase. Some people have the knack for this and I'm not one of them.
4. Anything to do with finance. Income tax stuff is way over my head. I don't understand our mortgage, besides the fact that we need to pay X number of dollars every two weeks. I don't get interest rates or investing. I have an RRSP but I don't totally know what I'm supposed to do except dump money in it from time to time. I'm not interested in it and it's boring. NEXT!
5. British humour. Like Monty Python and that sort of thing...is it supposed to be funny? I'm never sure if I'm supposed to laugh.
Five things I believe:
1. I believe in taking a few minutes for yourself every single day.
2. I believe in ghosts.
3. I believe that anytime before noon is too early for Diet Coke but it's never too early for alcohol, if it's your birthday or Christmastime or St. Patrick's Day or brunch.
4. I believe in treating others the way you would like to be treated.
5. I believe in letting go of grudges. Life is way too short to be so petty, and when has anybody ever felt proud or accomplished about staying pissed off at someone for ages? Letting it go feels so much better.