A cheesy post about running

Saturday, May 16, 2015

I moved to Halifax eight years ago, ending an abusive relationship and starting over in a new province, with a new job. Years of being unhappy had taken their toll and I wasn't healthy. I was drinking - a LOT - eating really poorly and not exercising and as a result I was carrying almost 40 pounds more than I am today on my frame. After a debaucherous first year in Halifax, I decided it was time to get my act together and start getting healthier. I wasn't making a ton of money at the time, so I didn't have a gym membership, but I had an ipod, some sneakers, and access to a free gym at work. I started going for long walks after work, then started adding in intervals of jogging. Before long I could jog a few kilometres at a time. I felt bad that I was putting in all this effort with exercising and still eating and drinking horribly, so I essentially stopped drinking save for the occasional glass of wine and started making meals myself - meals that consisted of something other than Triscuits with melted cheese. In less than a year I'd lost more than 40 pounds. I really feel like if I hadn't started running, I'd never have been prompted to make those other changes, and I would probably be pretty unhealthy today.

***

Three and a half years ago, I became a mom. I ran throughout my pregnancy until I was seven months along and started up again when Eli was six weeks old. As anyone with a newborn can attest, moments to yourself are few and far between. Running was my 'me' time. I decided to sign up for a 10K in May to help me lose my baby weight. A few weeks into my training, I completed the 10K distance and wanted to challenge myself even more, so I switched to a half-marathon training plan instead. In May 2012, I ran my first half marathon and Pete and Eli, just six months old, were there cheering me on. Running as a new mom helped me stay balanced, happy, and healthy for our growing family.

***

Tomorrow I'm running that half marathon again. I no longer have a baby at home but running remains 'my' time. I love that I can sneak out at lunchtime during a busy workday and go for a run around the Halifax waterfront, or that I can spend a couple hours on a Sunday morning plodding along listening to podcasts and incredibly offensive rap. If I weren't spending that time running, I'm not sure what I'd be doing. It's so corny sounding but running has really changed my life, and tomorrow when I'm dreading the start gun or bitching about the porta-potty lineups or worrying that my time is slower than I'd hoped, I want to remember how grateful I am to be able to run and how lucky to have this sport.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I've said it (many times) before, and I'll say it again... You really are an inspiration! I'm slowly incorporating exercise into my 'me' time regime and I have to say, I'm loving it. There's hope that one of these days I'll have the same success as you and maybe inspire some other ladies!
    I've been following your Instagram, you looked great! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just awesome, Amy. I am glad to were able to get out of that relationship and find yourself through running/physical activity. Way to turn your life around! It's people like you that make me push harder when I'm working out and just want to give up!

    I wish that I had smartened up with my health long ago, but I think everyone has their own journey.

    Just wanted to tell you I think you're amazing. Congrats on another half marathon!

    ReplyDelete