Mother's Day

Monday, May 13, 2013

Three years ago, I still wasn't a hundred percent sure I wanted to be a mom, but we were starting to think about it. We had just bought our first house and there were all those empty bedrooms upstairs. We turned one into a guest room and one into a mishmash of random furniture and objects - think spare bookcases, a little TV, and yoga mats. We never made it a permanent space for anything because I think we both knew sooner than later it would be a room belonging to a little someone.

Two years ago, we started telling people our big announcement - that our family would be growing by one in November 2011. A year ago I celebrated my first Mother's Day, and yesterday, I celebrated my second. It rained all day so it was a quiet day, but a nice one just the same, started off with homemade waffles with my boys and wrapped up with perfectly cooked steaks and baked sweet potatoes for all of us and glasses of wine for two of us. We took a trip to the greenhouse for some new flowers for the yard and split a huge cookie three ways on the drive home.

Before Eli came along, Mother's Day was just one of those holidays that required participation. I would gift my mom with something but not really think about it at all. Now it's one of my favourite days of the year. It's a day to relax with my favourite people and a reminder of how lucky and happy I am to be a mom. (Not that I don't think about that every day, but having waffles to celebrate sure doesn't hurt.)

So thank you, Eli, for giving me a reason to look forward to Mother's Day and for making being a mama such a delight.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This is sweet! By the looks of it, he is very lucky to have you. You seem to be a fabulous Mama!
    I'm glad you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete