Super-Simple Halloween DIY: Ghost With The Most

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

I used to think I enjoyed doing crafts. I'd dedicate an entire afternoon to putting together a fall wreath or creating new ornaments to go on our Christmas tree. Usually my "crafternoons" consisted of starting with a trip to Starbucks for the seasonal beverage du jour, because white girls, then spending $60 at Michael's before heading home to butcher some lovely craft inspiration I'd pinned.

Over time I've finally admitted that I don't enjoy crafts. When it comes to creating, I love to bake and cook, and I love writing,  and occasionally I like to paint, or, more accurately, smear paint around on a canvas with the skill and dexterity of a drunk toddler. But crafting is not my strong suit. I'm not sure why I pretended to be crafty for so long - maybe because my mom is super talented at sewing, quilting, and anything artsy, and my dad basically built our house himself. The DIY gene skipped a generation in our family.

BUT! Like every Canadian who took elementary school core French sings around this time of year, "c'est l'Halloween, c'est l'Halloween, HEY!" and my son is verrrrry excited about this and wanted to make some spooky Halloween decorations. Here's how to make Halloween ghosts that require minimal effort, cash, or ability.

1. Buy butternut squash.
2. Spray paint them white.
3. When paint is dry, draw on faces with a black marker. (We used a glossy white paint, and a regular washable marker went all smeary and weird, but a black dry-erase marker worked for us).



BOOM. Or perhaps I should say..."BOO"M? BoooooOOOOooooM? Are you picking up what I'm putting down? BECAUSE IT'S A GHOST.


You Might Also Like

0 comments