Morning Routine

Tuesday, September 27, 2016


Now that Eli's in school, we've developed a nice little morning routine. Before September, I was dreading back-to-school time a bit - getting myself, a baby, and a four-year-old out of the house by 8:00 a.m. every day was sure to be a disaster. Surprisingly, we've gotten into a nice groove in the mornings. Here's how we start our days.

6:30 - Peter gets up first and gets ready for work. Then he wakes up Eli (if he hasn't woken on his own, which he usually hasn't, because apparently being a primary student is EXHAUSTING). They go downstairs to eat breakfast and pack Eli's lunch. 

6:45 - This is usually around the time Henry starts chirping, so I get up and get him dressed and fed. Then we come downstairs, Henry goes on his little activity mat to play, and I make breakfast. 

7:00 - Coffee and breakfast time for me. Lately I've been eating oatmeal with a spoonful of almond butter and a sliced-up banana. I've read that oatmeal is good for milk production. My baby is super fat, so it could be fact, not fiction. 

7:30 - I set out Eli's clothes, brush his teeth, wash his face, and make sure his backpack is ready to go. I also get myself dressed and ready for the day. It doesn't take long - I'm definitely the mom in black leggings at school dropoff every day. 

8:00 - Henry goes in his stroller, Eli gets his sneaks on, and off we go. It's about a 15-minute walk to school, and first bell is at 8:25, so we arrive in plenty of time. A quick hug and a kiss and Eli runs off to line up with his class. 

8:40 - Henry and I arrive back home and he's always asleep by this point. We grab the dog and I download a new podcast, then we head out for a walk. Lately I've been listening to My Favourite Murder - have you heard it? Can we please talk about it? I am loving on this podcast so hard, but I have no one to discuss it with!

9:30 (or before) - We get home. Henry wakes up and wants to have his brunch. Then I make a cup of Bengal Spice tea and get a snack and we hang out in the living room for a little while.

I'm the kind of person who thrives on routine. Over the summer, we were very much flying by the seat of our pants: sweating all over each other, eating like garbage, and essentially just in day-to-day survival mode. Now that it's September, there's a reason to get up early every day and get my act together, and I need this and crave it.

How do you start your day? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments