weekend eats.

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Anybody who knows me knows I love to spend time cooking and baking on the weekends. I don't consider it a great weekend unless I've had a chance to whip something up in the kitchen, whether it's a new recipe or a dish we've enjoyed many times. This is especially true during the colder months, and this weekend was no exception.



Here's what I made this weekend:

[four-ingredient peanut butter granola] // since discovering this super-simple recipe we almost always have homemade granola on hand. I subbed in maple syrup instead of honey this time and added a little cinnamon. So it was technically five ingredients. Sue me.

[skinny peanut butter swirl brownies] // these are "light" brownies, probably because they use Greek yogurt instead of eggs and oil, and they didn't require any flour either. I liked them a lot. They're fudgy brownies and very chocolatey without being too sweet. FYI, we were out of white sugar, so I used a half-cup of brown sugar and a third of honey as a substitute.

[sweet potato gnocchi with maple cinnamon sage brown butter] // this was delicious, but it almost tasted like dessert, not a side dish. Usually I prefer a more savoury gnocchi, but as long as you know what to expect, give 'er.

[apple-cinnamon slow cooker porkloin] // this is a favourite of ours for Sunday dinner. The pork has lots of flavour and requires minimal prep - win/win!

Do you guys prefer to use cookbooks or tablets/phones for recipes? I'd much rather use a cookbook or a written recipe but thanks to Pinterest and blogs I'm usually propping my iPad on something and getting flour all over the screen. It may be time to invest in one of these bad boys.

Have you made any good food lately?

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I prefer cookbooks. If I find a recipe on Pinterest that I want to try I print it out so I have a hard copy! My favourite recipe of late: Peanut butter kiss cookies (http://www.creationsbykara.com/2010/09/peanut-butter-kiss-cookies.html/) - I ran out of kisses so made half a batch with chocolate chips mixed in instead and they were even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yum! Those look good. I live in a house full of peanut butter lovers so they definitely wouldn't last!

      Delete
  2. I love cookbooks, but don't have a single one. So I love finding recipes and blogs. I'm desparately trying to cling to Paleo (when I'm freaking home enough, which hasn't been the case lately), and there are some great ones like Paleomg and PaleoPot. Some great recipes.

    I also have made stuff that you have recommended on here. Those chocolate chip cookies you have mentioned are AMAZING. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I haven't checked those sites out but I will. Are you talking about the chocolate chip cookies with sea salt? Those are our favourites for sure. Pete asks me to make them all the dang time.

      Delete
  3. I agree, it wasn't a great weekend unless a lot of time was spent in the kitchen. I have a great collection of cookbooks that I reference often, but Pinterest is where it's at most of the time. So yeah, the iPad takes a beating. I made a cookbook over the years with all sorts of my own concoctions, plus other recipes I loved or must try. It's pretty beaten up, but it's perfect. I also love anything by Janet and Greta! If you don't have any of their books yet, you're missing out on some great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Eat Shrink and Be Merry and love it! There's a roasted veggie, chickpea, and quinoa dish in there that I sometimes make on a Sunday and take for lunch all week. I didn't realize they had a series of cookbooks though, and the recipes on their site look amazing too!

      Delete