Recipe: The best bacon pizza you'll ever have

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

From People magazine.
There are people who LOVE BACON, and there are people who don't. I'm not a "bacon makes everything better" person, but from time to time, I believe bacon has its place. I am, however, a runny-eggs-and-fancy-cheeses person. When I was pregnant I was most devastated not about giving up alcohol or sushi, but runny eggs and fancy cheeses.

When I spotted this recipe in People Magazine I knew I had to make it. Bacon, runny eggs and fancy cheese united in pizza form? Yes, please. Peter and I whipped it up on Friday and it was just as good as I'd hoped it would be. Don't you love it when that happens?

The recipe says it serves three to four people. I can tell you there were only two of us eating it and there was none left over.

Best Bacon Pizza
  • 16 oz. store-bought pizza dough
  • 8 oz. fresh mozzarella, grated
  • 1 cup heavy cream, reduced to 1/2 cup
  • 1/4 cup grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • Black pepper
  • 1/2 lb. bacon slices, cooked, drained and crumbled
  • 2 scallions, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 425. Lightly brush a pizza pan or cookie sheet with olive oil. Roll and/or stretch the dough and pinch into the edges of the pan. Sprinkle the mozzarella on top and drizzle with cream. Top with Pecorino-Romano. Bake for 8-10 minutes.

2. Remove the pizza from the oven and using the back of a spoon, make two shallow indentations. Crack an egg into each one. Bake for an additional 5-7 minutes.

3. Remove the pizza from the oven and cool for one minute. Just before serving, drag a knife through the yolks. Season with pepper; top with bacon and scallions.

My thoughts:

-Pecorino-Romano is not a cheap cheese. I bought the smallest block at the grocery store and it was $9.  It has a really strong, sharp taste when eaten on its own, but to be honest, when the pizza's all baconed up, it all just tastes like cheese. So you may be able to substitute another cheese...but it was pretty dang good this way. Substitute at your own risk.

-Confession: I'm not 100% sure what scallions are. Are scallions to green onions what rutabagas are to turnips? Like, alllllmost the same thing but not completely? All I know is, there was nothing at the grocery store called "scallions" so our pizza had green onions on it and everyone survived.

-Confession #2: I don't know how to "reduce" cream. Um, there's this thing called Google? And you type your questions into it? And it finds the answers? I have the vague notion that "reducing" cream means boiling it until there's only half left. Or, in my case, it bubbles over and burns to your cooktop and only half the cream is left in the pot. Success!

-I don't know how much 8oz. of mozzarella cheese is so we just used many handfuls.

-This pizza is delicious. It's not healthy or good for you but it is soooo very good. We enjoyed it with a nice moscato and it was an amazing meal to cap off our week.

Bon appétit!

Food photographer I am not. 





You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Scallions are green onions, just like edamame is soy beans and eggplant is aubergine. You are safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet, I'm glad I haven't been buying green onions in error all these years!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete