,

Half Marathon Training - Week 1 Recap

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Saying "I'm training for a half marathon" sounds scary, but the first week wasn't bad at all. I'm following the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan, which incorporates five workouts into week one: four runs and one cross-training workout.

Monday - rest
Tuesday - 3 mile run
Wednesday - 3 mile run
Thursday - 3 mile run
Friday - rest
Saturday - 4 mile run
Sunday - cross

I deviated from the schedule a little bit. Yesterday was supposed to be my long run and today was supposed to be cross-training day and I flipped them, and I took Thursday as a rest day and did Thursday's run on Friday. Overall I stuck to the plan. For cross-training I did the Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown DVD. I did a weights workout Tuesday after my run and managed to frig my back up doing squats on the smith machine. I did a little elliptical after Wednesday's run too. And today's four miles ended up being 4.85. It was nice and sunny outside and easy to go a little farther.

BUT! Everything got done. That's the main thing!

I like having a plan to follow. It makes me more accountable saying I need to work out X number of times this week, even if I flip the days around sometimes. It's like having an appointment in my calendar and makes me much more likely to follow through.

The best things about training this week were definitely my ugly new sneakers, which are super comfy, and my run outside today. I can't wait for the weather to get nicer and the sidewalks to be less of a death trap so I can get out more.

One week down, 11 to go!

You Might Also Like

0 comments