I believe in a thing called looooooooooooooooove!

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Last night H2B and I went to see 500 Days of Summer. Not surprisingly, I liked it and he hated it. It was kind of a hipster love story with lots of hipster music and hipster outfits. Very hipster, if you're not following. Too cool for school.

ANYWAYS, at the end of the movie there's some big epiphany (don't worry, this is not a spoiler) that love doesn't exist, soulmates don't exist, and everything is a big coincidence. I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree.

H2B and I met when we were both single through a mutual friend who took it upon himself to introduce us. We all went to a local bar for Martini Monday--H2B, Adam, Adam's lady friend at the time, and me. Adam rotated back and forth between interrogating H2B and myself. H2B and I didn't have much of a chance to talk to each other, but at the end of the night, I did drive him home (I'd only had one martini. Monday night, after all) and he emailed the following week about going out for dinner. Our first official date was awesome and we talked about everything and anything and got along great. I knew I liked him right away. Maybe not love at first site, but definitely some severe likeage occurred.

Would I have met him without Adam's setting it all up? I don't think I would have. H2B thinks we would have met somehow because he feels like we're meant to be. From a practical point of view I don't think we'd have met otherwise.

-we lived in different parts of town
-therefore, we shopped at different grocery stores, drugstores, etc.
-we went to different gyms
-we don't work in the same industry
-we verrrrry rarely went to the same bars

I really don't think, had we not been introduced, that we would have met.

Do I think we're soulmates? Sure...but did we meet because of fate or coincidence? I think we could have just as easily never spoken to each other. I'm happy Adam introduced us because otherwise I'd probably still be single, coming home from work every night to eat Triscuits with cheese melted on them in the microwave and Ruffles all-dressed chips with dill pickle dip* and then sitting in my room all evening watching Grey's Anatomy, drinking wine straight from the bottle, bitching about men and having my dad question whether I was a lesbian**.

I guess I'm torn on the whole fate vs. circumstance thing. I believe that everything happens for a reason, and I'm happy Adam introduced us because I don't think we'd have met otherwise, and we'd be two lost soulmateless souls swimming in the fishbowl that is the Halifax dating pool. THE WORST POSSIBLE PLACE TO BE.***

*I ate Triscuits with melted cheese on them every night for supper for about six months straight. And the all-dressed chips with dill pickle dip is a combo that can't be beat. Trust!

**After being single for about six months my dad grilled me about why I wasn't dating any boys yet and then asked if I were a lesbian. Six months. Really??? To be honest, it was a welcome break from the Y chromosone, but not quite enough to push me to pursue the ladies.

***For sure, this is the worst place to be single. It's a small enough town that people know one another to the point where if you do something embarrassing, your friends will find out about it. It's big enough that it's just a little tricky to meet people...but the "good" options are extremely few and far between. The more I think about it, dog bless Adam for finding one of the good ones for me.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I don't believe in soul mates really, more of a find the person you can stand to be around the most for a really long time...

    ReplyDelete